Behavioral Health Clinical Charge Nurse
Company: UnityPoint Health
Posted on: January 9, 2021
- To provide clinical oversight of patient care and continuity,
clinical practice, quality, resource utilization, and patient
- Demonstrates Ability to Assess, Plan, Facilitate and Evaluate
- Demonstrates clinical competence in caring for a wide variety
of complex patients through expert assessment skills, manual and
technical skills, and critical thinking abilities.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize Behavioral Health
- Represents nursing @ all clinical staffing; facilitating care
conferences with interdisciplinary team for patients with extended
LOS or frequent hospitalizations.
- Performs daily chart review and patient rounds with the primary
nurse to evaluate and facilitate care tasks and patient progression
toward goals, assuring patient needs are met.
- Uses baseline/ongoing patient data from all sources to assist
in the development of an individualized plan of care.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members to identify
potential barriers and variances to the plan of care.
- Collaborates with the care team to recommend referrals to other
disciplines of the care team as necessary to meet patient needs
(social work, therapy, wound care, etc.).
- Ensures the plan of care is well coordinated and communicated
to the patient and family in a timely manner to assist them in
understanding goals of care and movement toward these goals.
- Identifies and plans for discharge and teaching needs at the
point of admission and incorporates needs in plan of care..
- Collaborates with Utilization Management staff and Nurse
Manager to facilitate LOS and payer needs.
- Demonstrates knowledge in the continuum of care and discharge
- Performs daily chart review to assure all documentation is
complete (POE, assessment, practice guidelines, core measures,
etc.). Manages and mentors in crisis situations.
- Assists in the professional growth/development, clinical
knowledge/skills, and critical thinking ability of nurses and
- Recognizes individual and unit education needs based on trends,
quality standards, observation, and care gaps.
- Performs mentoring and education on the spot when knowledge
gaps or teachable moments are identified.
- Provides feedback to staff on performance based on observation
and chart review.
- Conducts bedside critical thinking exercises with nurses during
- Facilitates and conducts bedside orientation for critical
situations/experiences after the orientation period.
- Assists Nurse Manager and Nurse Educator in planning,
execution, and tracking of formal and informal educational programs
(competencies, education days, technology updates, unit councils,
- Assists in maintaining up to date resource
- Reports mentoring and bedside educational activities to the
Nurse Manager on an ongoing basis. Assists Nurse Manager in
evaluation of knowledge and skills of staff through formal testing
- Demonstrates Professional Accountability and Leadership
- Develops and maintains clinical expertise in the care of the
designated patient population; holding self and others to high
standards of professional practice and behavior.
- Provides clinical leadership to achieve desired patient
- Serves as a professional role model, mentor, and change agent;
demonstrates expertise in conflict resolution, negotiation, and
- Develops and maintains positive relationships between staff,
physicians and other departments
- Develops strategies to promote intra and inter-shift teamwork
- Conducts shift report and makes appropriate bed and staff
- Establishes and communicates priority focus areas for the
- Demonstrates ability to delegate and oversee care
- Demonstrates ability to manage time, multiple priorities, and
changing demands assuring work is completed.
- Communicates professionally and positively in all
- Continuously evaluates staff performance and provides input to
the Nurse Manager for yearly employee performance reviews.
- Monitors and manages daily staffing needs; providing timely and
ongoing feedback on patient, physician, and staff issues to Nurse
- Demonstrates flexibility in schedule to provide coverage for
other nurses' absence, assuming primary patient care. Monitors
patient flow issues and assists in problem solving and resolving
- Demonstrates Ability to Monitor and Facilitate Quality, Safety
and Resource Management Initiatives.
- Assists Nurse Manager in developing and implementing strategies
to reduce resource consumption and LOS.
- Ensures staff attendance at various nursing councils as
- Assess patient status for safety and establish preventive
measures as needed.
- Assesses environment and unit processes for patient safety
risks and assists in the establishment of plans and interventions
to reduce risk (falls, wounds, nutrition, NPSG compliance,
- Acts as the Safety Officer for the assigned shift.
- Assures events are reported in Peminic and to the Nurse Manager
in a timely manner. Participates in organizational and unit based
PI activities; assuring all quality measures are
met.Qualifications:Education: 1. Bachelor's Degree in the field(s)
of nursing preferred 2. Individuals hired after August 1, 2013 must
obtain a BSN within 5 years of hire Credentials: 1. CPR 2.
Registered Nurse in the state of IL 3. Certified as ANCC
Psychiatric Nurse. Experience: 1. 3-5 years of experience in/with
Behavioral Health nursing with demonstrated ability for problem
solving, decision making, and establishing effective rapport with
personnel, patients, families, physicians and colleagues,
demonstrated ability for clinical leadership of the patient care
team and patient management required.
Keywords: UnityPoint Health, Peoria , Behavioral Health Clinical Charge Nurse, Healthcare , Peoria, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!