Posted on: January 23, 2023
The Inpatient Unit (IPU) is committed to our Nursing
Professional Practice Model; we believe in caring relationships
with our patients, families, community, and colleagues to provide
exceptional care. On the IPU, our dedicated nursing staff, nurse
leaders, interdisciplinary team members, and physician partners
practice on a critical access hospital unit. On this unit,
specialized medical/nursing care is provided to our acute patients.
Rehabilitative care is also provided to our swing bed patients.
Medical diagnoses for our acute care patients include but are not
limited to pneumonia, heart failure, cellulitis and urinary tract
infection. Rehabilitative services for our swing bed patients
include but are not limited to physical/occupational/speech
therapy, wound care management, nutritional therapy and IV
antibiotic therapy. Care is provided by a highly-trained staff
utilizing the most current technology and equipment. The IPU is
fast-paced, exciting, and always evolving. Under the direction of a
Registered Nurse (RN), the Health Care Technician (HCT) functions
as a support to the licensed nursing staff and performs activities
related to the personal care and hygiene needs of an assigned
patient group. Facilitates communication with other departments,
visitors, patients, medical staff and employees. Serves as a public
relations liaison for the unit. Works under the direct supervision
of the nursing manager.
- Assists with the maintenance of unit supplies to ensure the
smooth function of the unit, including stocking nurse servers,
cleaning instruments and equipment, ordering supplies, and making
- Collects data on assigned patients as directed by Registered
Nurse (RN) and ensures accurate documentation.
- Demonstrates competency in selected psychomotor skills as
outlined in the skills checklist including: measurement of vital
signs, blood glucose monitoring, and measuring and recording intake
- Performs or assists patients with the activities of daily
living. Prepares patients for transportation and/or transport.
- Completes the unit specific HCT Safety Checklist at the
beginning of each shift
- Receives delegated responsibilities from RN each shift and
maintains close communication during shift regarding completion of
- Completes and documents basic patient care independently:
including but not limited to baths, vital signs, accuchecks and
- Maintains patient safety as the highest priority level:
ensuring safety measure compliance such as fall precautions,
pressure ulcer prevention, isolation precautions and patient
- Maintains a positive attitude at all times on unit that
promotes a healthy work environment and a healing patient
- Keeps a diligent focus on prompt answering of patient call
lights to ensure effective triage and completion of patient
Keywords: CARLE, Peoria , Nursing Assistant, Healthcare , Eureka, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!