Company: NRG Energy
Posted on: January 21, 2023
At NRG, we're bringing the power of energy to people and
organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we
do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and
natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio
of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United
States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while
advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice,
working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is
available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn
and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.Job Summary:This position is
accountable for leading the technical activities and coordinating
the necessary technical resources at Powerton Station to ensure
safe, efficient, reliable, and economic plant operation. Duties
include development, implementation and administration of technical
processes, work and project planning, procedural standards, and
employee development to support the technical needs of the
- Provides leadership and emphasizes importance of safety and
environmental programs by monitoring completion of safety concerns,
SSIP and incident investigation action items, attending required
safety and environmental meetings, and supporting EKPI goals.
- Serves as member of plant leadership team and is capable of
acting as temporary plant manager or operations manager as
- Develop, implement, manage, and communicate the station's
technical plan and revise as appropriate.
- Manage the station Management of Change process to ensure
compliance and operational reliability
- Manage stations compliance with corporate procedures, ensuring
their full implementation and compliance.
- Provide direction to the station's Process Specialists to
promote technical support for projects / areas of responsibilities
at the station.
- Manage the completion and budgetary tracking of capital and
O&M projects requiring engineering as well as ensuring new
technical projects are sound and justifiable that meet the station
and owner's needs.
- Leads support for the development and use of work scope
packages for each activity performed during unit outages including
all related pre & post outage activities.
- Leads support for the development of work order plan packages
that include labor, material, equipment, Lockout-Tagout, technical
support and Quality Assurance requirements.
- Leads support for the development of plans, schedules and
budgets for all - planned, maintenance, and forced outage work -
including scope growth.
- Leads support for day to day performance and coordination of
all outage work including resource allocation, work interference
planning, and the common use shared services.
- Improve the overall station safety culture by providing
leadership, setting a positive example and promoting / enforcing
all safety policies and procedures.
- Promote productivity and teamwork with open communication,
timely decision making, and use of leadership skills to set high
standards of performance, while providing the direction necessary
to achieve performance.
- Assign work and hold employees accountable for their
- Provide regular feedback to employees on their performance to
allow them to capitalize on their strengths and focus on
opportunities for improvement.
- Work collaboratively with other departments within the station
to ensure that appropriate technical expertise is available and
provided to employees / contractors in a timely manner.
- Formulate appropriate strategies that support the overall
Powerton Station strategy and manage development, implementation
and execution of assigned area goals, objectives, and
- Manage development and execution of appropriate standards,
guidelines, programs, and procedures within assigned area of
responsibility. Assure adherence to technical standards and
- Monitor equipment condition and conduct system condition
assessments to ensure overall plant reliability and prioritization
of equipment maintenance and upgrades.
- Support budget development, management, and execution. Provide
input for monthly expenditure forecasts.
- Provide technical interface for station stakeholders as
- Oversee key projects, processes and performance reports, data
and analysis. Develop and implement methods and procedures for
monitoring projects such as preparation of records of expenditures
and research findings, progress reports, and staff conferences to
inform management of current status of each project.
- Manage all business aspects of assigned area to maximize
competitive position of the plant including operational
performance, staff development and cost management.
- Manage, as necessary, the evaluation and selection of external
- Manage all work at the station in support of organizational
objectives and responsibilities.
- Use and maintain technical and professional knowledge, share
that knowledge with others, and recognize/apply new technology in a
- Obtain and apply knowledge of competitive business practices in
daily work activities and decision making.
- Seek and understand the organizational needs and focus on
meeting and exceeding these requirements.Working Conditions:This is
primarily an office environment job however the position will
require on occasion going into the station or outside areas. Those
environments will include being around rotating equipment, exposed
to high/low ambient temperatures, high humidity areas, in areas
with high voltage electrical equipment, high noise areas and
elevations up to 400 feet.Minimum Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 8 years of experience in a power plant, chemical plant, or
industrial plant dealing with mechanical equipment including
boilers and combustion process, turbines, heat exchangers,
condensers, coal handling equipment, compressors, fans, pumps, and
ash handling systems, and electrical equipment including
generators, transformers, power distribution equipment, motors, and
electrical protection systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering and 7 years of experience in a
power plant, chemical plant, or industrial plant dealing with
mechanical equipment including boilers and combustion processes,
turbines, heat exchangers, condensers, coal handling equipment,
compressors, fans, pumps, and ash handling systems and electrical
equipment including generators, transformers, power distribution
equipment, motors, and electrical protection systems.Preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial, Mechanical, or Electrical
- Power plant experienceAdditional Knowledge, Skills and
- The candidate must instill NRG values and demonstrate
competencies relative to this position which include
accountability, adaptability/flexibility, building credibility, a
strong business expertise, customer focus, the ability to empower,
develop and gain commitment from others, problem solving, and
- Strong human relations, supervisory and communication skills
are essential to succeeding in this position.Physical Requirements:
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting,
climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to
access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- This position requires the ability to safely use, handle and
inspect equipment containing (and perform maintenance in close
proximity to sources of), hazardous energy, hazardous chemicals and
hazardous wastes as those terms are defined under various safety
and environmental regulations.
- The position requires the use of appropriate personal
protective equipment for the hazards identified above. In the
employee's normal immediate work area, this position requires the
employee to be routinely familiar with, and to appropriately
respond to, the hazards identified above, including, but not
limited to repairs on equipment containing chemicals, containment
of chemical leaks, response to electrical interruptions, etc. This
response would encompass appropriate personal protection
techniques, the following of safety procedures such as (but not
limited to) lock out/tag out procedures, and the following of
- Must be able to frequently climb ladders; enter confined
spaces; climb to and work from elevated platforms, ladders and
walkways at elevations of 300 feet and more; crawl to the through
confined areas; correctly wear and work using air purifying
respirator; lift a minimum of 20 pounds in awkward positions and 50
pounds from the floor to the waist.
- Willingness to work and respond to calls outside normal
business hours as necessary, especially during a critical issue
resolution and to achieve project milestones.#CbWR#LI-WR1NRG Energy
is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent
permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining
agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing,
and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol
testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/DisabilityEEO is the
Law Poster(The poster can be found at
Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's
experience or skills.Official description on file with Talent.
Keywords: NRG Energy, Peoria , Technical Manager, IT / Software / Systems , Pekin, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!