Wastewater Operations & Maintenance Technician
Company: Veolia North America
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Company DescriptionVeolia Group aims to be the benchmark company
for ecological transformation. With nearly 220,000 employees
worldwide, the Group designs and provides game-changing solutions
that are both useful and practical for water, waste and energy
management. Through its three complementary business activities,
Veolia helps to develop access to resources, preserve available
resources and replenish them. In 2021, the Veolia group provided 79
million inhabitants with drinking water and 61 million with
sanitation, produced nearly 48 million megawatt hours and recovered
48 million tons of waste. Veolia Environnement (Paris Euronext:
VIE) achieved consolidated revenue of 28,508 billion euros in 2021.
- Provides day-to-day monitoring and basic plant and pump/booster
station operations, routine lab tests and basic corrective and
preventative maintenance activities.Primary Duties /
- Operates equipment manually and through instrumentation panels,
computer terminals and programmable logic control units following
process control procedures. Monitors and observes operating
conditions, records observations and data in shift log. Diagnoses
basic operational problems and takes corrective action per
- Performs routine CLAIR (cleaning, lubrication, adjustment,
inspection and minor repair) on machines and related equipment
which may include pumps, engines, centrifuges, generators, valves,
gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, dryers, chemical feed, odor
control, disinfection equipment, vacuum filters and belt presses.
Reports and documents results of work performed and enters into
appropriate database. Promptly reports any operational problems
with machines or equipment to Lead or Supervisor.
- Collects water, wastewater, industrial waste, groundwater,
sludge, residuals and/or gas samples according to schedule.
Performs field tests (chemical, physical and biological) in order
to pace chemical dosages for process and odor control units.
Prepares chemical solutions, monitors supplies and recommends
- Performs routine lab tests and prepares reports per
- Performs routine instrument calibration for portable meters
including, but not limited to, dissolved oxygen, pH, H2S, percent
oxygen, lower explosive limit.
- Learns to inspect and becomes proficient at mechanical
troubleshooting to determine repairs needed. Dismantles equipment
to gain access to and repairs defective parts using hand tools,
power tools and precision measuring and testing devices.
Re-assembles and tests equipment ensuring safe and efficient
operating condition is restored. Learns to troubleshoot hydraulic,
pneumatic and electronic equipment and instrumentation.
- Performs manual labor including cleaning equipment, facilities
and grounds as required and properly disposes of waste according to
safety and environmental policies. Operates vehicles, mobile
equipment and material handling equipment for operational and
- Performs facility maintenance and repair and may replace or
install light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, damaged glass, windows,
doors, partitions, ceiling or floor tiles, door locks, carpet,
- Learns to estimate time and material costs for various
projects. May assist in other areas of facility as
directed.QualificationsEducation / Experience / Background
- High school or GED with the ability to read, write and
comprehend English (operational, process, safety and quality
instructions) and be able to carry out verbal and written
- Six months to two years experience in a related position with
experience in a similar environment preferred with ability to
comprehend specifications, blueprints and manuals.
- Experience using material handling equipment, pressure gauges
and precision measuring instruments.
- Experience using power, pneumatic, hydraulic and hand tools and
shop tools such as drill press, band saw, bench grinder, torque
wrench preferred.Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Some vocational training and mechanical aptitude preferred,
with the ability to read, interpret and record data from meters,
gauges, scales, panels, computer consoles and other equipment.
- Must have the ability to diagnose basic and routine process and
mechanical problems and take remedial corrective action.
- Must have basic computer skills and have ability to operate
programs for process control, the Computer Maintenance Management
System, and laboratory/industrial pretreatment QA/QC.
- Must consistently demonstrate the ability to learn and
independently perform assigned duties and meet or exceed production
and quality goals.
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and
willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities
- Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call if
required by site.Required Certification / Licenses / Training
- Minimum water/wastewater license as required by regulatory
agency at site.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and a safe driving
- Employee Orientation, Departmental Operating Procedures,
Safety, OSHA and Quality Training.
- HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response)
Level I and II First Responder Certification if required by site.
Obtain and maintain minimum water / wastewater operator state
- Must become proficient in the care and use of all site
specific, facility required PPE (Personal Protection Equipment),
including respirators, gas detectors, confined space equipment,
- Forklift Certification if required by site.
- Training in operation of mechanical drives, hydraulic pumps and
valves, pneumatics, electronics and control systems.
- Obtain HVAC, Electrician, Plumber's or other trade License if
assigned to that area. Note: Tech will not perform duties unless
- Training in the use of energy management systems as
- Works toward increasing skills in additional functional areas
or in obtaining advanced skills / maintenance certifications.
- May perform more advanced functions as part of training and
development.Physical Requirements / Work Environment
- Spends 100% of the time in operations environment. Typically
spends 25 - 35% of time exposed to outdoor and sometimes inclement
weather. Company service vehicles are used as required.
- Travels 1 - 2 times per year for company provided training. May
be required to travel up to five consecutive days. May serve
rotational 24 hour emergency on-call.
- May be exposed to possible operations hazards including fumes,
dust, toxic and caustic chemicals, noise, rotating machinery, high
pressure and hot and cold temperatures, slippery surfaces, water
and electrical hazards.
- Amount of time spent - Standing 25%, Walking 75% for as many as
five miles per shift.
- Requires close visual and hearing observation to detect
non-conformance and machine malfunction.
- Constantly uses hands to finger, handle or feel and frequently
reaches with hands and arms.
- Works in various positions; works on ladders, catwalks, and
supports at heights of 50 feet above the ground; and works with
hands extended above and below head and body up to 40 minutes using
hand tools weighing up to 15 pounds. Must be able to lift and carry
50 pounds (occasionally 60 pounds) distances of 10 feet. Occasional
stooping, bending or kneeling and entering confined
spaces.Additional InformationVNA is committed to the principles of
equal employment opportunity. VNA's practices and employment
decisions, including those regarding recruitment, hiring,
assignment, promotion, compensation, benefits, training,
discipline, and termination shall not be based on any person's sex,
race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age,
disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran
status, citizenship status or other protected group status as
defined by applicable law.VNA gives fair consideration to all
qualified individuals and affords all employees and applicants
opportunities for advancement according to their individual
abilities without regard to membership in any applicable protected
category. No opportunity for hire, advancement or any other
condition of employment will be diminished through unlawful
discriminatory practices.As an inclusive company, Veolia is
committed to diversity and gives equal consideration to all
applications, without discrimination.We are an Equal Opportunity
Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or
protected veteran status.
Keywords: Veolia North America, Peoria , Wastewater Operations & Maintenance Technician, Professions , Mapleton, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!